Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Benedict XVI in Cuba

Carlos Eire, who is Riggs Professor of History and Religious Studies at Yale University, expresses disappointment with the pope's trip to Cuba.  I'm not prepared to agree or disagree with him -- I just marvel that a man of Benedict's  age can do all that he does.  Money quote:

As a Catholic, I need to deal with Pope Benedict differently than non-Catholics. If he says he is convinced that freedom and genuine respect for human rights will naturally stem from the spiritual benefits that the Church has to offer this suffering world, I need to believe that he is sincere, even as he befriends Caesar and publicly ignores those oppressed by him. But I don’t have to agree with his strategy.

more: http://www.tnr.com/article/world/102506/pope-cuba-fidel-diplomacy-catholic